Mission: “To extend a helping hand to Veterans who are homeless or near homeless by promoting recovery orientated care and connecting them with vital human resources and social services.”
A hand up not a hand out.
This program is to provide emergency assistance to those who are experiencing homelessness or near homelessness. Assistance cannot be continued over an extended period of time but may be offered more than once to an individual.
To be eligible, the Veteran must be Canadian Ex-Service personnel and their dependants (spouse/children); A dependant is the child of the ex-service personnel who must wholly rely on their parent for food, clothing, and shelter and not in receipt of Government assistance;
Some of the Assistance that can be provided is listed below but is not limited to this list:
- Medical needs such as dental, prescription;
- Medical equipment such as eyeglasses, wheelchairs, hearing aids;
- Emergency transportation;
- Emergency assistance: food, shelter (first and last month’s rent), utilities that are in default and at risk of being shut off;
- Addiction programs, if not covered by other sources;
Applications can be obtained from the nearest Legion Branch Service Officer or at the New Brunswick Command office.